- What is Medicaid?
Medicaid is a state funded insurance that that provides coverage to low income families, pregnant women, newborns, and children that may not be able to afford to purchase their own care.
- Who is eligible for Medicaid?
The following groups are eligible for Michigan Medicaid:
- Children 0 - 12 months with a household income less than 195% of the Federal Poverty Limit;
- Children 1 - 18 years with a household income less than 160% of the Federal Poverty Limit;
- Children 1 - 18 years with a household income between 160% - 212% of the Federal Poverty Limit qualify for MICHILD;
- Pregnant women with a household income less than 195% of the Federal Poverty Limit;
- Adults with an income less than 133% of the Federal Poverty Limit.
- How do I find out if I am eligible for Medicaid?
To find out if you are eligible for Medicaid, you must fill out an application for Medicaid or CHIP. You may fill out an application at any time of the year. See more on Medicaid.
- Will Medicaid cover my children?
Your household income level will determine if your child or children can be covered by Medicaid.
- What is CHIP?
CHIP is a program that supports children in families that cannot afford private health insurance, but whose household income is too high to qualify for Medicaid.
- Can I use Medicaid to satisfy the health insurance requirement?
Yes, Medicaid will satisfy the health insurance requirement for the covered individuals.
- What information and documents should I have when I'm signing up for Medicaid?
Depending on the Medicaid Part you are applying for you may need the following: identification documentation, Social Security documentation, proof you live in Michigan, proof of income, proof of medical costs, and bank account information.
- What is MICHILD?
MIChild is a health insurance program administered by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services for children who are under age 19. It is for low income uninsured children of working families. There is a $10 per family monthly premium for MIChild. The $10 monthly premium is for all of the children in one family. This is the program that provides the majority of the coverage for Michigan children that qualify for Medicaid.
- How does Obamacare work with Medicaid?
Because of Michigan’s Medicaid eligibility requirements, Obamacare does not impact people who qualify for Medicaid and vice versa. As such, tax credits are only available for people who are not eligible for other plans.